Lenn Thompson and his team at The Cork Report created #openlocalwine night in March. It was an instant hit with winemakers and with fans of local wine all over North America and beyond.
Lenn and his already large group of friends and fans watched as the #openlocalwine hashtag spread across Texas, Arizona, Oregon, and even California – areas beyond the East Coast where they’re primarily located. Responding to demand, but keeping it sane, the next event is May 22, 2020, to kick off Memorial Day weekend.
To take part in #openlocalwine all you need to do is:
- Get a bottle of local wine (or cider) and open it Friday, May 22.
- Enjoy it with a nice meal – either home-cooked for takeout from your favorite local restaurant.
- Post picture(s) of the wine or wines online – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter – using hashtag #openlocalwine. And tell them why you picked that wine (or wines) and who you are sharing it with.
- Raise a glass to the winemaker who made it.
- Drink it and enjoy it with your family.
Please also make sure that you @ mention the winery/winemaker as well as The Cork Report on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram (@ginashay1, @lennthompson and @the_cork_report on the latter two). That will help The Cork Report see and then share your posts with with larger #openlocalwine community. Per his blog, Lenn shares, “Remember, ALL ARE WELCOME. We always want this event to be open to as many people as possible. That’s why we keep it easy to do and invite people from every corner of wine country to participate!”